Saturday, July 28, 2012

The first decent photos

Started post-processing the pictures from last night. Deep Sky Stacker had absolutely no problem to stack the images (at some point I saw a star count of 150 something on the screen!)
So, stacking was fairly straight forward!


Then I tried to load that picture in Nebulosity for further processing, but I first had to store them in the FIT format. Either DSS can’t store correctly 32bit or Nebulosity can’t read it correctly. So, for now I have to do with 16bit.
But I’m still struggling with the post processing. Nebulosity has a couple of default steps that make the picture look better, but it’s not very impressive. Plus the resulting picture has a very bright background in a circle, but at the edges it’s almost black. I’m sure that’s not from stacking as the photos had HUGE overlap.


Downloaded RegiStax to stack the moon movie. And then I had to download a converter that converts my movie to an .avi file. But somehow I can’t see anything in RegiStax when I load the movie. Maybe it’s too long? Also, I should have taken the movie with a much smaller apperture. There are almost no details from the moon - it’s just very bright, white.


So tonight (if the weather allows): 


  1. take another film of the moon with proper apperture, and 
  2. take two series of the same object - one with automatic long exposure correction, one without.
The more I read about MaxIm DL5 (or its predecessor MaxDSLR), the more I whish I could use it on my Nikon. It seems to be pretty awesome for focusing, taking images...

Sch...!!!! A complete session for nothing. I set my camera on JPEG - assuming that it would make a RAW copy in the second flash drive. BUT NO! It created a JPEG copy in the second, so I ended up with 2 JPEG’s of each photo but no RAW. Well, tomorrow again.

I tried taking two movies: from the moon and Saturn. The moon movie is still WAY bright (even though I chose the smallest aperture). Saturn is almost not visible at all.