Wednesday, November 7, 2012

NGC 884 / NGC 869

Alignment was a breeze - the 2nd calibration star was almost exactly in the middle. Polar alignment went well. And then I wanted to take photos of NGC 884 / NGC 869. But somehow I lost the alignment. It was absolutely impossible to take 4 min exposures - they all had star trails. In fact, PHD couldn't correct it enough.
Instead of redoing the alignment, I tried shorter exposures (2.5 min). The result is OK - but I should have rather redone the alignment:
I will try these two clusters again. Also, I didn't do a good job in getting the colors out. There are several stars in these clusters who are yellow/red.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for taking the time to chronicle your experiences and frustrations. I am going through the exact same process except with a DSLR in the cold. I find myself cracking up as many of your "lessons" have happened to me and probably many others. One thing that I recommend if possible is to leave your mount outside covered and then polar alignment is no longer an issue. That has really simplified things for me. Keep up the hard work. Clear skies. Alex

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Alex,

    Thanks for the note. Yes, it's amazing how many things you can do wrong here.

    I would love to leave my mount outside. But I have to share our backyard with my two kids (5 and 8) their 10+ friends and our dog. I.e. they would at least ruin any good alignment - if not worse. Our house has a flat roof - I am actually considering to leave the scope up there from time to time (luckily California doesn't get too many storms or such).

    Do you have your images or experience somewhere on the internet?

    MarkS

    ReplyDelete