Monday, July 8, 2013

Golden State Star Party - Night 2

Last night was one of those nights that you don't want to have...

First, I moved my scope higher to avoid that accident from the night before where somebody stepped in front of the scope and ruined 3 images. Unfortunately, there was quite some wind last night and that together with the higher scope made guiding REALLY bad. I had between 1.3 and 1.9 arcsec RMS error :-(

My wide field images weren't much better. First, I had VERY good polar alignment. I then took various images with my 50mm lens (Cygnus region, Cassiopeia region, Sagittarius region, Andromeda Galaxy). All with 1 min exposures, the histograms looked great!
... and then I realized in the morning that I completely screwed up focus! I must have touched the focus ring on the camera at the beginning of the night because all but 1 image were out of focus :-(

But it still was a great night under the stars. I am still amazed by the number of stars and the milky way overhead. And had some interesting views through Larry's Dobsonian.

3rd Night

No comments:

Post a Comment