Wednesday, April 15, 2015

First star trail image

During our vacation to Maripose, CA (near Yosemite) I tried my first star trail image:

I used a great tutorial that I found on the web. I took images for 4 hours (30 second each) and then processed them as described in the tutorial. A couple of learnings:
  • you don't really import the images in Adobe Bridge, you just navigate to the folder
  • when editing the photos, choose "Raw photo editor" - that doesn't load Photoshop but just the editor
  • press "Done" not "Save" when done!
  • import all the images to photoshop as layers takes 5+ hours!!!
  • flattening the layers takes another 5+ hours!!!
  • I tried to save first (before flattening) but that takes hours too (and might fail as the file gets too big)!
  • my first try was way too bright:

     the combined image will get significantly brighter because you use the brightest pixels from each image.
Overall, I'm quite happy. Should do these more often when I'm at dark sites.

No comments:

Post a Comment