Monday, May 1, 2017

Eclipse Imaging #3 Ultra-wide angle Timelapse

Of course I want to take a timelapse of the event. And what better equipment then:

  • Nikon D750 and the 14-24mm lens
  • qDSLRDashboard (Holy Grail mode) + Intervallometer
  • On top of Really Right Stuff tripod
A couple of things to figure out:
  • The totality will last for 1min 28sec. In order to get a good timelapse, I need to take images every 5 seconds. Which means that the shutter speed can't exceed 3 seconds! Is that enough for the light during totality (I can ramp up ISO!)
  • The brightness will change before/after totality MUCH faster then at sunset/sunrise. Should I take the average of 2 images or just the last image for adjustment?
  • Can I use (again) a cable to control the camera, or do I need to control via Wi-Fi (sucks up much more power...)
Setup will be fairly straightforward:
  • Mount and orient camera the day before (for perfect framing)
  • Focus as always
  • Configure qDSLRDashboard
  • Connect and start Intervallometer