Friday, July 28, 2017

Weird APCC failure

Wanted to take more data for Sharpless-86, but ran into weird issues:
  1. Polar Alignment worked
  2. Started SGPro Sequence
When SGPro tried to center the object, APCC complained that the correction to be made is too large. Tried again. Same result. Then I tried to do just a "Solve and Sync", first I noticed that SGPro failed over to Blind Solve and then I got the same error again.

I then tried to do an Image Link in TSX. And ran into the same issue. Only a All-Sky link worked ...

Restarted the scope, restarted the computer - same result.

At some point I noticed that when a slew command was issued, the scope started slewing but the position in TSX did not update (it just sat at the Park 3 position). I tried a couple of things.

When I disabled APCC (i.e. connected the Astro-Physics ASCOM driver directly to the serial port of the mount) everything worked!!!

I have absolutely no idea what happened.

First, I didn't think too much about it and that I could just use the mount without APCC.

... but then I remembered that I wanted to use Horizons for the solar eclipse to make sure that the sun stays centered... and for that I'll need APCC. So, I still have to figure that one out...

---

After I posted to the ap-gto mailing list, Ray Gralak replied and a) asked what versions of APCC and the ASCOM driver I'm using, and b) recommended to update both to the latest versions.

I realized that I updated APCC recently but not the ASCOM driver. After doing that, everything seems to work. Yei!!